If you want to be an entrepreneur, there’s way too much startup jargon. You’ve got, UAC, LTV, CAC, product market fit, pivot, traction etc.
So, we’ve decided to put together a useful resource list as a general go-to-guide for first-time founders.
Validating your idea or product
* A guide to validating product ideas with quick and simple experiments. (Grace Ng, Smashing Magazine)
* The startup pyramid. (Sean Ellis, Startup Marketing)
* The five whys. (Courtney Seiter, Buffer)
* How to interview your customers. (Justin Wilcox, Customer Development Labs)
* 26 resources to help you master customer development interviews. (Zach Bulygo, Kissmetrics)
* 34 ways to improve your survey response rate. (SurveyAnyplace)
* Steve Blank’s customer discovery checklist. (Steve Blank, SteveBlank.com)
* LinkedIn groups every startup founder should join. (Luke Fitzpatrick, LinkedIn Pulse)
* Meetup groups. (Official Website, Just Search “Startup”, Meetup.com)
* Tips: Get out and meet people, both offline and online.
* How do you market an Internet startup with no marketing budget? (Josh, Ledgard)
* After the Techcrunch bump: Life in the “Trough of Sorrow.” (Andrew Chen, AndrewChen.co)
* 87 growth hacking techniques. (Ryan Law, Cobloom)
* Startup marketing. (Sean Ellis, Startup-Marketing.com)
* GrowHack. (Conrad Wadowski and Matten Griffel, GrowHack.com)
* The story behind Buffer. (Tessa Miller, Lifehacker)
* What Is A/B testing? (Unknown Author, Optimizely)
* A/B Tests big wins by Kissmetrics. (Lars Lofgren, Kissmetrics)
* Minimum Desirable Product (Andrew Chen, SlideShare).
* 5 Lean startup examples. (Brant Cooper, Moves the Needle)
* 10 Ways to test if your MVP is a viable product. (Scott Gerber, ReadWrite)
* How startups can land big partnerships? (Tom Taulli, Forbes)
* Uber offers gets merchants to pay for your ride. (Josh Constine, Techcrunch)
* Disruptive Business Modes by Harvard i-labs. (Michael Skok, Harvard Innovation Labs, Youtube)
* Tip: A great course on Business Development for Startups. (Scott, Britton, Udemy).
Building a strong team
* How to build your startup team? (Ryan Allis, Startup Guide)
* Airbnb, hiring values and culture (Sam Altman, Startup Class).
* Startup teams operate on different wavelengths. (Luke Fitzpatrick, Ghacklabs)
* Tip: Read 101 Hiring hacks for startups. (Michael Overell, RecruitLoop)
* 15 Great articles about SaaS product management. (ChargeBee)
* Your 10 most important metrics. (By Tomasz Tunguz, VC at Redpoint)
* The complete quantitative guide to judging your startup. (Techcrunch)
* Tip: Take the course “Build. Measure. Learn” (Udemy, by Steve Blank, Eric Ries, Dave McClure, Janice Fraser and Ash Maurya). The course is free. Pirate Metrics is also a must read (SlideShare, Dave McClure).
Burn and churn
* A high churn can cause your business to crash and burn (George Deeb, Entrepreneur.com).
* What is the right level of burn rate for a startup these days? (Mark Suster, Both Sides of the Table)
* Searching for signal: The how and why of financial models for startups. (Paul Bennetts, PaulBennetts.co)
User acquisition cost (UAC)
* How to calculate cost per acquisition for startups. (Andrew Chen, AndrewChen.co)
* Rookies mistakes on CAC. (Mark Suster, Both Sides of the Table)
* What’s your real CAC? (Carlos Eduardo Espinal, Seedcamp)
* Detailed definitions of SaaS metrics. (David Skok, For Entrepreneurs)
* Startup metrics: Don’t let your SAC get WACC. (Andrei Marinescu, 500 Startups)
* Starbucks LTV Infographic. (Jeff Desjardins, Visual Capitalist)
* Mint pre-launch deck. (Hiten Shah, SlideShare).
* Airbnb pitch deck. (Pitch Deck Coach, SlideShare).
* Best Pitch Decks. (A site housing the best startup pitch decks including Facebook)
* 23 Campaigns every startup should run to gain immediate traction. (Juan Martitegui, 500 Startups).
* The ultimate guide to startup pre-launch marketing. (Manish Dudharejia, VentureBeat)
* 9 ways to hack your growth with Facebook ads. (Andrew Tate, AdEspresso)
* Tip: Watch: Complete guide to running Google Adwords campaigns. (Jerry Banfield, YouTube)
Website copy and value proposition
* 7 Proven templates for writing value propositions that works. (Tor Grønsund, TorGronsund.com)
* Fantastic landing page examples that you’ll want to copy. (Lindsay Kolowich, Hubspot)
* 101 resources for writing great copy. (Unknown Author, Column Five Media)
* Tip: Check out the Kopywriting Kourse. (Neville Medhora)
* How I pitched Techcrunch and 13 ways to get press when you launch your startup. (Jason Baptiste, JasonLBaptiste.com).
* How to get press for your startup: The complete guide. (Austen Allred, Medium)
* Why most startups don’t ‘get’ press. (Mark Suster, FirstRound)
* Pitching hack: It’s not what you said, it’s how you made them feel. (Tyler Crowley, Clarity.fm)
* How to raise money for your startup: Infographic. (Anna Vital, Funders and Founders)
* How these early-stage startups got funding pre-MVP. (Luke Fitzpatrick, Ghacklabs)
Patents and legalities
* How to legally structure your startup for success. (Scott Annan, Business Insider).
* 10 big legal mistakes made by startups. (Richard Harroch and Richard N. Frasch, Forbes).
* Legal checklist for startups. (Scott Edward Walker, VentureBeat).
Social media and early-stage marketing
* How to market a startup with social media. (Luke Fitzpatrick, Ghacklabs)
* 15 pre-launch growth hacking strategies for startups. (Stuart McKeown, Gleam,io)
* The $0 marketing stack. (Kevan Lee, Buffer)
* Tip: Check out the Foundr Mag free Instagram ebook.
Developing a business model
* The 20 minute business plan: Business Model Canvas. (Alexander Cowan, AlexanderCowan.com)
* 9 Startup business models. (Nina Tomaro, Huffington Post)
* 17 Unique business models. (Lauren Drell, Mashable).
This is a general go-to-guide for new founders with the aim to break startups down by topic, as there’s just way too many things we all have to know. Here is a must-read covering 60 SaaS Statistics That Will Change The Way You Think by Digital Marketing Stream. And, make sure to check out 48 little-known business tools for success.